Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Modern Firepower Pinball Project - Painting the Cabinet

Since I had some downtime waiting for replacement parts to come in (more on that later) I decided to go ahead an paint the cabinet.

First I finished cutting the ventilation holes and the hole for the ball shooter.  I post later about how I lined up the ball shooter.

Then I sanded, puttied, sanded, puttied, and sanded some more.

Finally, I primed the cabinet.  Primer reveals all kinds of imperfections, so I then spent another day applying wood filler and sanding everything down.

First of many many coats of primer.  I'm using Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch white spray primer.



Primed inside too.

I primed inside and out.  My plan is to leave the inside primer white (actually has a blue tinge, but close enough), and the rest of the cab will be semi-gloss black.  I will also gloss coat the inside, both to protect the uncoated primer and to make the black insides very reflective.

First coat of Rust-Oleoum Painter's Touch Black Semi-Gloss spray paint.

The first coat of black semi-gloss is drying.  Though it looks good, I will wet-sand and apply more coats to make it look even better.

I taped off the inside of the cabinet so only the top edge, visible above the playfield, gets painted black.

No comments:

Post a Comment