Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Modern Firepower Pinball Project - Lights Installed

All of the lights have been installed on the playfield.  At this time, the underside hardware installation is 99% complete.  There is a mechanical beauty to an un-wired playfield.  If only it could stay looking this nice.

Take note of the open areas that remain on the playfield.  My selection of modern components have freed up additional room around the slingshots and eject holes.  This will allow me to do something pretty special - I will be mounting the circuit boards to the playfield itself.

I installed the lights in a tidy fashion to minimize wasting of open space.

More pics after the jump...

Not yet installed are the two rollover switches, simply because I don't have the correct leaf switches.  I didn't realize that these switches push the rollover star back up after the ball passes over.  This requirement seems obvious now, but before I realized I needed special leaf switches I was planning on using pop bumper leaf switches.  The pop bumper switches don't provide any force at all to the rollover star.  The star rollover leaf switch also needs to be relatively small, so as not to obscure the light that shines on the rollover insert.

I plan to install the control circuit boards in open spaces like this one below the stand up targets.

Also not installed is the top eject hole assembly, simply because the playfield rotisserie mounting bracket is in the way.  I won't be able to install the eject hole assembly until I take the playfield out of the rotisserie.  So final assembly and wiring of that component will just have to happen later.

The top eject hole assembly still needs to be installed, but the metal bracket of the rotisserie is in the way for now.

At this point I'm almost ready to start wiring.  Before I begin, I need to find a home for all of the circuit boards and sketch out my wiring plan.  I'm wrapping up the design of my new Pinball Solenoid Driver Board, and will use a printout of the new board to see where it can go on the playfield.


No comments:

Post a Comment