Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Modern Firepower Pinball Project - Playfield Machinery

After installing the various posts on the playfield, I turned my attention to the playfield machinery.

I had already decided that there was a correct order for installing all parts on the playfield.  Posts first, simply because they are small and on the top.  Then machinery, because there's normally only one correct way to install these large metal assemblies.  Next come targets and stand up switches, as they too can only be installed one way.  Then come the rollover switches, which have a little more leeway in installation location.  Last come the lights, as they have the most flexibility in installation location - so long as they are under the correct insert or hole, you can mount them however you like.

I installed the pop bumpers first.  These are standard Williams style pop bumpers.


The playfield looks a bit more complete now that the pop bumpers are installed.

The slingshots are actually Data East and are not original on this playfield.  I find the all-in-one design vastly superior and much easier to install and maintain.  Luckily they fit perfectly.

Something here does not belong.... can you figure it out?  That's right, a modern Ball Trough.
One of my goals for this project was to use modern pinball parts.  Many of the mechanical designs from even the 80's are large and clunky, and in some cases lack functionality.  The feature I hated most was the old ball trough.  It only held 3 or 4 balls, requires four large leaf switches, and uses two separate solenoids, one to move balls from the drain onto the ramp, and a second to throw balls into the shooter's lane.

Early on I had purchased a modern ball trough.  I know this design was used by Williams on their 2000 era machines (both of them, before they went out of business), and I believe is also used by other manufacturers.  The all in one design is vastly superior: seven ball capacity, optical switches, and only one solenoid to throw balls onto shooter's lane.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit Firepower or other 80's era pinball playfields.  Part of the trough extends up through the playfield to funnel balls into shooter's lane, and this part was a few millimeters wider than the hole in the playfield.

The clearance was so close I couldn't resist pulling out my router (technically a Dremel with router attachement) and widening the hole just enough to make it fit.  Sacriledge? Yes, but definitely worth it.

The ball trough didn't fit the stock playfield, so I used a router and carefully enlarged the hole in the playfield to make it fit.

I mistakenly installed the flippers before the ball trough.  I then got to do it again...

After repositioning the flipper, it aligns perfectly flush with the ball trough.  Always test fit all pieces before drilling holes.
 I had already installed the flippers long before I enlarged the hole for the ball trough to be installed.  When I finally installed the ball trough, I found it was overlapping with the right flipper assembly.  I had to reposition the flipper to get everything to align correctly.  While it would have been smarter to install the flippers after the ball trough, I was able to fix my mistake by used toothpicks and wood glue to fill in the old screw holes before drilling new holes.

Another view of the pop bumpers.  The coils are not all the same strength... wonder how that will play.

Here's something else that doesn't belong, an all-in-one eject assembly from a different pinball era.

To make it fit, I had to Dremel off the metal ball catch ring (didn't fit the playfield) so I could use the red plastic parts instead.  I also had to enlarge the holes in the plastic cup to make room for the switch and the coil plunger.  Works perfectly!

Up top, I also installed the ball saver kickback assembly (on the left drain lane).

Another view of the modern ball trough.

2 comments:

  1. How much modification to the existing trough hole did you need to make? Was it only the end where the ball comes out?
    Nice work! I am building a Joust starting with just a repro playfield. The original ball trough design was prone to jamming with the multiball mode in the ones I have played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks AD72. Sorry for the delay, your comment was in a moderation queue hiding in a sea of spam, and I just found it.

    From memory (8 years ago now...), yes I think the modification was just to enlarge the through hole a bit where the ball comes out, just as you described.

    On my new The Black Knight Rises project, I installed the original style ball trough with the kicker and the humped ramp, and I hate it so bad. I used it so I could program my software to deal with this type of ball trough, and now that my software is good, I plan to replace the old style trough with the new trough. Here's a tip for you: I bought a 7-ball trough from Pinball Life, and it actually fits on the Black Knight playfield without any modifications!!! This is because it doesn't have that huge ball ejection hood like the one I used here on Modern Firepower.

    If only my next-next project, building a Centaur, could be so easy. Not only will these modern ball troughs not fit, Centaur has a very trick setup where it auto-launches balls below the playfield in addition to above. That's going to be one tricky build.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete